With The Patriots starting OTA’s this week, it’s a good time to get a preview of this upcoming season. I asked Tony Massarotti from 98.5 The Sports Hub questions about the Patriots and the quarterback position. You can Tony weekdays on Felger and Mazz 2-6, and on the Baseball Hour 6-7 on 98.5 The Sports Hub. Tony, brings some good insight as to where the team states currently. They spent a lot of money this offseason and drafted quarterback Mac Jones in the first round. There is no question they should be better than they were last year.
I appreciate Tony taking the time to answer my questions in a busy time in Boston Sports. Hope you reading it enjoy the interview.
- With the Patriots bringing back Brian Hoyer, do you think Stidham is on the team to start the season?
It feels unlikely at this point. I don’t see them carrying four quarterbacks, so either Stidham or Hoyer will be cut. At this point, I’m leaning towards Stidham being the odd man out.
- If Mac Jones beats out Cam Newton in camp do you think he starts to begin the season?
No, I don’t. I think that Bill Belichick will be very careful and deliberate with Jones, at least at the start. I think there is a chance Jones could play by mid-season, but that all depends on how he develops and how do year goes.
- Belichick has a huge ego. Do you think he’ll ever admit he made a mistake at the quarterback position by not having a plan sooner to draft someone to be the successor to Tom Brady?
I doubt it. In his defense, in his mind, he had the successor ready to go in Jimmy Garoppolo. But Brady was obviously still playing at a high level and had the backing of ownership, so there was not really any way for that to work.
- The Patriots should make the playoffs with this roster. Is it a failed season if they miss the playoffs considering how much money they spent in free agency?
Yes, no question. For starters, as you noted, they invested a great deal of money to make this team better. Second, the Patriots have set a very high standard for themselves over the last 20 years. I can’t imagine they go into any year thinking of doing anything less than winning the division, making the playoffs, and making a run at the Super Bowl.
- What do you think the Patriots record will be?
I’m going with 11–6. I think there is a chance they could be much higher in the standings if Jones develops quickly because I think it will mean wonders for their passing game. And I think that is ultimately going to determine how far they go.